Monday 1 April 2013

A is for Andy (A-Z Challenge)

So here we go for the first blog of the A to Z Challenge...

A is for Andy - that's me! To ease me into this challenge I thought I would say a few words about myself as a way of introduction. This challenge got me thinking about the origin and meaning of my name. Andrew (but call me Andy), it turns out, is of Greek origin (Andreas). I already know it means Man or Warrior, which I kind of like, and another meaning I came across was Manly, which has given my wife and kids hours of fun at my expense! Andrew was also the first chosen of the twelve apostles, which makes me feel very important and Saint Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland and Russia - it just gets better!

My intention is to take the A to Z Challenge's advice and keep my April blog posts short and to the point and am hoping that getting up an hour earlier every day to blog will help get me into a routine that will help me write consistently every day along the way to becoming a published writer. I'm looking forward to 'B' already.

13 comments:

  1. Great way to start...telling us a little about yourself. I should do that when I get to F. Enjoy the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning, you manly man! I'm glad you are jumping right in. I agree, this is a great way to start the A to Z. A bit of an introduction.

    I have a name origin slotted for the A to Z dealing with my nickname. Unsure how I want to proceed with it, though, as it is a blog I've been meaning to write long before learning of the challenge. We will see.

    Unfortunately, brevity is something I'm still attempting to grasp :) I think for my sanity, though, I best practice harder! Have a good one, B is right around the corner.

    Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jak, thanks and I'll look forward to finding out the meaning of your nickname.

      Delete
  3. Nice to meet you, Andy! I tend to ramble so A for Aphrodisiac is long...but the rest of the alphabet will be shorter b/c I'm also doing Camp Nano this month ;-D
    Onward!
    DMac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DMac, good luck with Camp Nano and thanks taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  4. Great name! It's why we chose it for one of our boys.
    I'm thinking this challenge is going to be quite fun, seeing the many ways people take the letters. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I'm looking forward to it too. I thought it would be a quick 5 mins a day but I've been thinking/scribbling most of the day. When will I ever get some work done!

      Delete
  5. Quick and easy entry! And it fits! gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Taryn, great to chat with you. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  6. Hello Andy - or should we call you the "Manly Warrior"? I can imagine the harrassing you are taking at home for this information. It shows how brave you truly are just by sharing it with your wife and kids. Looking forward to you "B" as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yep, it's a hard life being this manly! Haha, good luck with the challenge and thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  7. Welcome aboard! Incidentally, the other day someone told me on Facebook that if you're at Disney World and you run into some Toy Story characters, they will all drop to the ground if you yell "Andy's coming!" I have no idea if that's true or not. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments. Feel free to comment here..