Thursday 4 April 2013

D is for Diary (A-Z Challenge)

"Memory...is the diary we all carry about with us."
(Oscar Wilde)



Almost 23 years ago I began writing a daily diary or journal, prompted by the birth of my first child. The enormity of my new responsibility as a father felt overwhelming and I wanted somewhere to put down my thoughts and feelings. 23 years later I'm still doing it, maybe not with the same intensity as at the beginning, but doing it nonetheless. I wonder how many of you do the same. If you are into writing and reading blogs there's a good chance you are also the sort of person who would keep a diary. Maybe you would say your blog fulfils this purpose.

There are many benefits to keeping a daily diary/journal. It obviously gives you a written history to look back on when you are old and grey; I find that an attractive proposition. Memories, especially the good ones can remain with us for the rest of our lives - how much better to have a written record to prompt that memory. Maybe, as me, you intend to pass them on to your children (I wonder if this is even a good idea) so that they will also remember all the good times with fondness. Of course, some of us may have had bad times in the past and a place to write about them can really help put them into perspective. A diary is a place to go; a chance to be alone with your thoughts; a friend that will never judge you.

I would love to know how many people out there keep diaries/journals. If you feel inclined, let me know.

6 comments:

  1. I envy people that keep diaries. I always MEAN to, but, alas, I don't. I have several diaries started with just the first few pages filled in.

    So I commend you. Seriously. I'm clapping my hands right now for you. Well done, my friend. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, thank you for your kind words. Keeping memories and passing stuff on just seems to be important to me. I'm enjoying your blog too.

      Delete
  2. Hello Andy, I found you on the A to Z challenge, I just recently started blogging, I wish I had started a journal for my oldest when she was a baby 13 years ago...I commend you... great job... check out my blog if you get a chance... kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Andy, I found you on the A to Z challenge, I just recently started blogging, I wish I had started a journal for my oldest when she was a baby 13 years ago...I commend you... great job... check out my blog if you get a chance... kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, Thanks for viewing my blog. There's still time to start a diary. If you start this weekend you'll have 5 years worth of diary entries by the time she's 18. The teenage years! I'll pop along to your blog now. Andy.

      Delete
  4. Evening Andy,

    I've never specifically kept a diary. As you can maybe tell, though, the blog I began kind of doubles as one. Not sure how many of the topics I'd want my possible offspring to read, but it is all good lol

    First child was 23 years ago? Aren't you already old and grey?! dun Dun DUN. Just kidding! Kind of >.> okay, yeah... I am sticking with "just kidding"

    I wished some of my family would keep a diary revealing all their dark secrets :( I'd love to know the inner workings and life some people tend to have hidden from everyone around them.

    Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments. Feel free to comment here..