Friday 5 April 2013

E is for Earth (A-Z Challenge)

I was reading some interesting facts about planet Earth recently. Believe me, there are more interesting facts than you can shake a stick at! That said, I thought I would include just two of them here.

Making More Time
Have you ever wished that there were more hours in the day? The good news is that, some time in the future there will be! The bad news is that you'll have to wait a few million years for it to happen. The fact is that the earth's rotation is slowing down. It is believed that millions of years in the future a day could be as much as 27 hours long. Imagine all the extra ironing you could get done!

Going Places
Without even knowing it we are truely going places we could only ever dream about. In fact, every year the earth travels a distance of approx 580 million miles around the sun, taking us with it. And it travels at a speed of 67,000 miles per hour. If you really think about this for a minute it can blow your mind. Most of us don't go very far in our daily lives. We might drive to the office and back or, at most, go on holiday abroad each year and think we have really travelled. But without even noticing, we are really travelling huge distances. By my calculations, every day we are travelling approx 1.5 million miles. Phew! I'm feeling tired - time for a coffee!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know, I think I may be alive millions of years from now... reborn if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments. Feel free to comment here..