Tuesday 2 April 2013

B is for Beauty (A-Z Challenge)

"Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." Henry Miller (1891 - 1980)
 
 
Have you ever seen the film American Beauty? I have, many times, for its sheer depth and skill in depicting characters. The main character says something like '...it's hard to be mad when there's so much beauty in the world' right at the end of the film.
 
I know, from experience, that it's very easy to be blind to what's good in life when you are in a low mood. I'm sure those suffering depression will know this all too well. Sometimes we turn inward when we are unhappy and get tied up in our own little world of gloom and everything seems so much worse. But then, have you noticed how much better the world seems when your mood is good? What's changed, the world or just the way you look at the world? Trust me - in most cases the world is exactly as it was yesterday and it's only the way you perceive the world that has changed and that's the reason you feel bad.
 
Sometimes we need to forget ourselves and look with a different eye at the world around us; a person, place, picture, book, a sunrise, a mountain, the sky. You get the picture! In recent days I've been walking a lot and visiting a special place I love, high up overlooking the sea. And each time I have stood and allowed the cold wind to bite my face and listened to the crashing of the surf against the rocks - a simple pleasure bringing big rewards.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,

    I really like your post, very inspiring and thought provoking!

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post. found you on a to z, and will be back to read more!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MOV, look forward to hearing from you again soon.

      Delete
  3. This is a great post, Andy! I love the message. I'm a big proponent of Positive Thinking, but it can be so hard at times. Even when having a great day, sometimes all it takes is one minor bump and it all goes to shit.

    It doesn't have to, and with control of your thoughts/thinking it won't, but it is a constant effort. I'd like to think eventually it won't be a challenge, that it will just come naturally. Instinctual almost.

    It's sad, but I've yet to see American Beauty. I've rented it, and it was on Netflix for a time, but never got around to it. I should see if it is still on NF.

    Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Jak. Thanks for your comment. Yes, see American Beauty. You won't be disappointed.

      Delete
  4. Nice post. I wish I had more time to "stop and smell the roses". It takes a conscious effort sometimes but what a wonderful feeling when we do!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments. Feel free to comment here..